Dental implants or bridge, what’s better? Let’s understand first, what are dental bridges and dental implants. When one loses his tooth/teeth, there are mainly three ways to replace them.
- Dental bridge.
- Dental implant.
- Partial denture.
What is Dental bridge?
The treatment of dental bridge includes adjacent teeth and take the support of these two or more teeth and fix artificial crowns over them.
Treatment includes three main steps:
- Preparation of adjacent teeth to take support.
- Impression / measurement.
Adjacent teeth are reduced from all sides with specific dimensions, considering which type of crowns are placed. Margins of teeth are prepared so that, it receives the final crown over them.
After teeth preparation, the impression is made with rubber base impression material and send to a lab.
Dental laboratory, manufacturers the bridge. It usually takes 4-5 days. After a trial, we cement the bridge.
Advantages of bridge
- Fixed replacement of lost tooth/ teeth.
- Maintains the architecture of teeth.
Disadvantages of bridges
- the sacrifice of adjacent natural teeth
- bridge dislodges after few years
- abutment teeth become sensitive and may require root canal treatment in near future.
- may require to replace the old bridge with a new one after a few years
- loss of bone architecture
What is Dental Implants?
Dental implants Treatment are an ideal replacement for lost natural teeth. The treatment is divided into two phases.
- Implant placement.
- Crown / prosthetic phase.
The total duration of the treatment is usually 3-4 months. Once the implant is placed at the place of the lost tooth, we usually wait for 3 months. During this time, new bone grows around the implant & the implant becomes part of the bone. After three months, an implant is fitted with a single crown.
Advantages of Dental implants
- Ideal replacement of natural teeth.
- permanent fix teeth.
- no need to replace the implant after a few years.
- more predictable outcome.
- maintains the architecture of bone and surrounding oral tissues.
Know More about Dental Implants Types and Adventages
Disadvantages of Dental implants
- Sometimes, other systemic diseases like diabetes and high blood pressure may affect the treatment but with modern machinery and equipment, we overcome these problems.
Conclusion of discussion
Implants are always preferred and ideal treatment choice over bridges. Implants are permanent. No need to sacrifice adjacent two teeth to fix one lost tooth. In long run, the expenses are almost the same for both dental implants & dental bridges. The choice is yours !!! If you are planning to get treatment for Missing tooth Replacement, Then contact Micodent Dentistry for Affordable Dental Implants in Pune.
Dr. Rohit Joshi is a renowned Dentist in Pune and has more than 7 years of experience in the field of dentistry. He is Mastered in conservative dentistry and endodontics. He also specializes in single visit painless root canal treatment and aesthetic dentistry. He is always contributing his knowledge of dentistry through his blog. Learn More about Dr. Rohit Joshi.