We all know that “Natural teeth cannot replace by anything”
What options you have to replace the missing teeth? There are mainly three options to replace missing tooth/teeth.
- Removable partial dentures
- Bridge by taking support from adjacent teeth
Implants are the gold standard for missing teeth! Implants are considered the most ideal and conservative treatment option. Implants not only replace the teeth but also restore the functions like mastication, maintaining the relations of other teeth, enhancing your smile.
Advantages of Implant
- Implants help to maintain the integrity of adjacent teeth
- It helps in maintaining the periodontal health better than bridges
- It maintains the bone architecture and stability.
- No sacrifice of adjacent natural teeth.
- More biocompatible than the bridge.
Implants can be used for single tooth replacement, multiple teeth replacement, and completely edentulous jaws. Let’s talk about Each of them in detail
Single tooth replacement with implants
When you lose the tooth due to decay or due to trauma and have to remove it, the single tooth is replaced with an implant. In such a scenario, wait for 2 months after extraction. After proper investigations and planning, Implant can be placed in the bone.
After 3-4 months, we proceed with crown placed over the implant. So simply it replaces your missing tooth&restore its function
Multiple teeth replacement with Dental Implants
When two or more adjacent teeth are missing in the maxillary or mandibular arch, the gap can be filled with multiple Dental Implants. Procedure for placing multiple implants is the same as a single-tooth implant. A prosthesis is permanent and it is anchored by dental implants, & placed over the implants. It not only improves the mastication function but aesthetics as well.
Replacement of all teeth with Implants
There are many instances where the patient loses all her/ his teeth. In such a scenario, there are few options
- A conventional removable complete denture
- Full mouth fixed teeth replacement with Implant.
- Full mouth Implant-supported overdenture.
Conventional complete dentures provide the mastication satisfaction up to about 30% as that of the natural dentition. But with implants, this satisfaction can be improved to almost 90%.
Disadvantages of conventional complete denture
- Soreness in few areas of the mouth
- Instability of denture while chewing and biting
- Inability to use front teeth (oh! Apples..and how to eat sandwich or pizza? )
- The fear of denture being popped out during talking or laughing or maybe even yawning.
And… The list goes on
Thanks to the advancements in dentistry we now have implants to our rescue.
Multiple factors are considered before going ahead with the treatment when there are no teeth.
- Ridge dimensions
- Interridge distance
- Vertical dimensions
- Centric relation
Let’s then correlate it with your digital images like CBCT and OPG. These will give the idea about your bone structure and density. It will also locate the position of sinus and nerve canals.
With all this diagnostic study we are then ready to plan a customised treatment. Contact us for the best dental implants in Pune.
Dr. Rohit Joshi is a renowned Dentists in Pune and having more than 5 years of experience in the field of dentistry. He is Mastered in conservative dentistry and endodontics. He also specialises in single visit painless root canal treatment and aesthetic dentistry. He is always contributing his knowledge of dentistry through his blog.